The best way to dive in to BL.INK is to create your first link!
First, select your domain from the drop-down menu at the top. Then click the New Link button and select the Branded Link option.
This will bring you to a form- fill out the requested fields, save, and you're in business!
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when creating links:
Changing URL Destination
You can change your long URL destination at any time and your short URL redirect will update instantly.
- Specify your short URL hashtag or leave it blank for a randomly generated suffix
- Use the notes field to specify any details about the link that might be useful to reference, especially keywords which you can use when searching and filtering later
- For more information about Redirect Types, hover your cursor over "Redirect Type."
- Don't forget to save!
Using tags makes your work easier and more efficient. You can add as many custom tags to your account as you need, and we recommend applying a tag to every single link. (You can add more than one tag to each link, too.)
Benefits to Using Tags:
- Organize links into easily searchable groups
- View analytics by groups of links
- Simplify campaign reporting
- Easily share results with other account users or clients
Best Practices for Using Tags:
- Social Media Type (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Email Type
- Campaign Type (Direct mail, television, posters, etc.)
- Client Type - Agencies can use labels to track data by client
- Month / Year
An example use case for Tags:
Let’s say you are running a special promotion throughout the month of June in which you are testing offering a giveaway to increase referrals. You also want to test different messaging on Twitter vs Facebook to see what is converting better on those channels.
You’d want to create the following tags to maximize your ability to measure ROI on this campaign: Twitter, Facebook, Giveaways, Referral Campaigns, June. Then, tag your links with the relevant tags as you create them, and also tag your other links not related to this promotion with relevant tags as well.
As your results roll in, you’ll be able to easily tell if the campaign that included a giveaway got more clicks, and which messaging worked best on your different social channels. And when you are planning for next year, you can go back and filter by June to see how certain campaigns performed that time of year.
How to Create Tags
To create a tag, navigate to Admin > Tags. Then fill in the Tag Name and Notes. You have the option to make a tag a Shared Tag, which will allow the tag to be added by any user on the account. To select this option, place a checkmark next to Shared Tag. Then click Add Tag.
You can also add a new tag directly from the New Link page while creating a link.
You can edit existing tags and create new ones from the Admin > Tags page. As with other areas of the BL.INK site, the pencil icon will allow you to edit the existing information.